Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

too much Kiswahili!

Some of the locals speak English in Kiswahili way.  I have heard these words during some of my conversations with the locals around me. They add “e” but they pronounce it as “eh”- soft “e”.
  • friendeh – friend
  • househ - house
  • hoteleh – hotel
  • bageh – bag – “bage” is actually the Kiswahili of bag
  • stoveh - stove
  • magazineh - magazine
  • restauranteh - restaurant
  • foodeh - food
  • milkeh – milk
  • cleaneh – clean
  • breadeh – bread
  • turneh – turn
  • righteh - right
  • magazineh – magazine

So, the first time I’ve heard these words, I thought I haven’t heard them right.  Some of my “Kiswahnglish” (Kiswahili-English words) moments.

How are you my friendeh? 
Sorry, that’s not my name. (my reply)

Do you eat breadeh?
Is that a food?

Where is your househ?
My househ? Who is that?

You go righteh (when I asked for a direction).
Sorry, is that a street name?

I will hold your bageh?
Hold what?

Kiswahili references provided by the Program Office
I’ve been here now for more than 4 months.  My ears have learned to decipher Kiswahnglish vocabularies.  I hope that when I am going back to my home country, I will not speak English in a Kiswahili way.



“Listening is the beginning of understanding”.

No comments:

Post a Comment