Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

pole sana!

Today, I have encountered the rudest person in Tanzania. 

Since it was my last day living in Gongolamboto, I decided to take pictures in the area before going to the city.  Jovenary (the ful-time staff of my organization) was with me to bring my big luggage to the repair shop of bags and shoes. 


camera shy neighbours - w/ permission

While on our way, I began shooting sceneries .  We passed by along the compound of a public school. It was a morning break-time of the school children.  When they saw me holding a camera, some of them shouted “Pigapicha (take picture) Mchina!" Some ran towards me making wacky posed and big smile.  I took some and show them the pictures afterwards.  We were leaving but some children were following me; pulling my hair, touching my arms and some were trying to snatch the camera from my hand.


open field nearby the public school - children and young men play football here

Jovenary told them to go away, but they kept on following my pace.  Then I’ve heard a loud voice of a woman behind me.  She was almost shouting and saying something.  I almost run away out of fear.  Her eyes were looking at me like she wants to attack me or eating me alive.  I stopped walking because she was pointing her finger at me.  When she was approaching, I tried hard to smile and maintained my composure.

Woman:  “Hey, you! you! Who is giving you the authority to take pictures here? “ While still pointing her finger at me and her other hand was on her hips.
Me: “Sorry.  The pictures are for my souvenirs only.  I will delete the pictures of the children.” My eyes were glued on her angry face.
Woman:  “Who are you anyway? Why are you here? What are you doing here? If you want to take pictures, you go to the Administrator or Head Teacher to ask permission!” This time, both of her hands were on her hips.
Me:  “I’m a volunteer here and I’ll be leaving tomorrow.” I smiled again like a moron and pretended to be meek and humble.
She did not reply after that and started going away but she was still staring at my face and her eyes were still angry.  All I could utter was- “She is rude”! I was not aware if I said it loudly. Joven replied was  – “ She is a teacher here.”
What then if she is teacher.  She acted like she was the most superior being on earth.  That was not acceptable – (to me.)  I knew, I was at fault (taking pictures without permission – like a paparazzi but my intention was harmless), but do I deserve to be treated that way? I felt bad. Perhaps, if she approached me in subtle way, I would apologized wholeheartedly. 
I will be leaving this place tomorrow. I will be moving to the city (it was a decision of the Program Office that I should not live in this area until the government declares it safe after the bombing incident last February).

outside my house are young children playing on the street
I hope I will not meet again another person like her in the remaining days of my placement (more months to go).       
This is where I always buy banana
P.S. I did not delete yet the pictures of the school children. I am tempted to post them here but that woman might track me and report it to the Authority.  Hahaha!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Clarz! I guess we have the same bad experience with teachers these days, mine however was not as traumatic as yours. One thing I learned about rude people is that most of them are usually threatened by your presence, thus the natural instinct to show fierceness, parang sa mga wild animals ba. Its very draining to one's persona to encounter such a person everyday, buti na lang paalis ka na diyan. He! He!

    ReplyDelete