Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Jambo Africa

Prelude:  I wrote this post last month (March).  I am now in Tanzania for more than 2 months; arrived here last 06 February.  My Kiswahili is not polished yet.  My knowledge is still on the survival level.  During the time that I wrote this, I was staying temporarily in a budget hotel in the city center while waiting for the security clearance of my placement. Will write about that next time.

It’s been a month now that I am in Tanzania (eastern Africa).  Having spent 2 weeks in the countryside to learn Kiswahili (national language of Tanzania) and was also the opportunity for me to appreciate the local culture.  Tanzanians are happy people.  They are warm and very friendly.  They never miss to greet people.  Anywhere, you hear them saying Habari, Jambo, Mambo, Sawa, etc.  Their meaning is simply Hello or How are you? but each has its own responses.  Although, they were practiced everyday for 2 weeks at the class and even outside, until now I am still struggling to reply them.  They are still strange in my ears.  Sometimes, I just nod my head to acknowledge the greeting because I cannot grasp easily from my brain the correct responses. 
Actually, my struggle is not only about the greetings but the speaking of the whole Kiswahili language.  It is frustrating.  I may never learn it but I will try it anyway, or I must say – I should.  Besides, it is too early now to conclude.
Aside from the language experience, the best that I have encountered in the countryside was a safari to one of their national parks.  The Mikumi National Park; it has an area of 3230 km sq.  It is not the best in Africa but it was amazing to see giraffe for the 2nd time (the 1st  time was at Manila Zoo (Phils.), I was 5 or 6 years old!).   It was a nice feeling to see for real the zebras, deer and rhinoceros. (I have seen them before on the television program of NatGeo).  All I could say at that time was a little prayer – “Thank you Lord for bringing me here.”
Well, I will be seeing more of Africa, I might be staying here for 2 years or maybe at least a year.  I expect to be facing different struggles but am sure that those will be part of my interesting life here.
Last note (for this entry) –  I have realized that the best way of familiarizing a route is to go on foot.
One of the giraffes at the park

1 comment:

  1. Your journey in Tanzania is a dream to many. I am happy for you that you had been able to live such an experience. I could just imagine your heart racing as you see all those animals in their natural habitat as compared to seeing them pitifully locked in a zoo. My best of luck in your journey and I shall keep track of your story as it unfolds.

    ReplyDelete